Domination

After a relatively short discussion with a good friend I realised something. I, as a consumer, seem to be sucked in by the big brands. My apple desktop which is in sever need of an update, was once top of the line, even if I didn't get it new. My Hewlett Packard laptop was best value for money and often considered top of the line for what it is. Even my iPod was made by the computer giant apple.
Not only do I buy the big products, but I use the big brands online as well. Google is my go to search engine and holds my emails, blogs and occasional document. Facebook is my main way to stay in contact with friends who have moved away for various different reasons. Twitter is my way of staying up to date with the world around me.

Realising this made me think for a moment about the type of power these companies hold. I'm a devoted apple user, and would own only their products if I could. I've only moments installed Google Drive in a hope to have another backup of my documents. Without these products, what would I do? I wouldn't be able to ensure the safety of my writing and my understanding of computers would be far more limited. The big technology companies have a hold on us all. We need them, but they need us too. Without customer satisfaction, no one would use their products.
The competition between these companies drives capitalism but it also drives new advancements within technology and how we live. My last point I would like to make, is one to make you think. Eventually, with all these new progresses in technology, will we still be able to live without them. Will, one day, the human race be unable to survive without technology?

1 comment: